Friday, 22 April 2016

Up North.

We got up to another glorious morning and went for a walk around Great Barrow before breakfast.  The locals in the village were so nice and friendly and before long we'd met a lovely old chap walking his dog and stopped for a chat in a teeny lane by the magnificent old church, while the church bells rang the hour.
After breakfast we hit the road.  Again we set Carmen the Garmen to avoid motorways and we were off on our way to Sheffield.  We saw some beautiful country on our way and it made sense of the saying 'this green and pleasant land'.  
Eventually we left Cheshire and entered Derbyshire, over the moors, which are stunning in their bleak severity.  By lunch time we had stumbled upon Ashford on the Water, Steve and Bev took us there last year...and I was trilled to have happened upon it just in time for a bite to eat. So we popped into the Bulls Head for a bowl of roast parsnip soup and a home made roll...mmmm delish...in a cosy little corner of this little gem. 
We strolled around the little old stone buildings and then down to the river and watched the trout and the ducks from the bridge.
Then it was on-on to cousins, Steve and Bev's house.
And what was awaiting us but an enormous Meat and Potato pie with proper mushy peas...that is probably my favourite thing...oh my goodness it was delish...just like my mum's.  I made short work of that along with a slice of Bakewell tart.
After dinner Steve took us for a drive around and ended the evening at 'The Grapes' an Irish pub...it was magic.   People started drifting in with guitars and a keyboard and soon the little ancient old place was full and the music began, each taking their turn to play and sing.  Even I sang/hummed along with 'Whiter Shad of Pale'..a particular favourite from my youth...and I wasn't thrown out either...amazing.
So here I sit, snuggled upstairs, in this comfy bed under a puffy doona while I type and this part of the world is starting to wake up.  Feeling pretty blessed to be here and double blessed to be with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment