We had yet another few hours in the car yesterday. We got up late and had a leisurely start to the day and after packing up a picnic lunch of terrine and a small tart purchased from the Boucherie/Chatuterie, seen in the photo, and a crusty baguette from the Boulangerie...we were off for another adventure.
We cruised through the open country side and settled for our picnic lunch by the roadside of a small village in the middle of nowhere. After a break and a scoff we were back on our way. After 2 hours of driving through the Champagne country side, we saw rape fields in full bloom, asparagus fields, wheat fields and fields of lettuce...but not one single solitary grape vine. We got all the way to Reims and despite seeing the huge and opulent champagne houses...not one vineyard. So how do they make the stuff?...by magique?
We were left an extremely nice bottle by our host (unopened btw) but at dinner I did partake of a very small aperitif ....and I mean small....it was over the equivalent of fifteen Australian dollars for the little thimble...but it was exquisite...and frankly I doubt I could have managed anymore than that anyway. But I mean you can hardly come to Champagne... and not have...Champagne.
We walked into the area suggested for a really lovely meal then back for an early night. We were both shattered. I think now we are into our 6th week.... a little fatigue could be setting in.
So today?...what does it hold? A trip around the cellars of G.H Mumm? (my favourite tipple)...or or or?..no idea at this stage. It's almost 9am...another coffee is needed for moi before I can face anything at all... and a bit more time sleeping in for the Badger.
Saturday, 21 May 2016
Champagne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment