Sunday, 8 May 2016

Our day in the City of Bordeaux.

We had yet another great day.   We left the apartment at round ten am and got back at around 4ish.  We walked and walked.  Much needed exercise I can tell you. 
So off we went and explored the city.  I love getting out on foot, wondering down little lanes, popping out into huge 'places' (the squares where it's all happening) .  Walking by the water, ducking  in and out of interesting buildings, be it shops, museums, churches and of course the cafes and restaurants.  The architecture is what really interests me.  I love taking it all in.  Listening to the different voices,  the different noises and smells,  watching the world go by in a cafe.  Even just something as simple as the local grocery store or fresh food markets to see what people eat etc.
Speaking of that...we like to dine in on and off, one of the reasons why we like the apartments.  I wouldn't want to cook the whole time but cooking is a passion of mine....it's great to source local produce and see what you can do with them. We ate in last night as a matter of fact.  Mussels done in white wine and a vegetable broth with fresh crust bread....but I digress.  The first day we were getting a few basic supplies in I found some butter with sea salt.  I like my salt (naughty I know) anyway I thought it sounded ...healthy?  Opened it up and it does indeed have sea salt...huge chunky, crunchy crystals of it....I shall find out this morning how it tastes on my toast with some English raspberry jam I have secreted somewhere.  
We saw the river boats parked against the bank the day before and like last year, when in Avignon, it was fascinating to have a bit of a peek.  They look pretty comfy.  The cruise ship that was docked over overnight was a huge imposing beast.  It's not for me I'm afraid.  It looked so overwhelming, like a floating office block. I know there are a few of you who are devoted to cruise holidays so I do appreciate there must be something in it. I can just imagine myself getting lost and never to be seen again or else plop overboard while heaving my guts up...I'm not a good sailor.
The weather is a bit grim today so we are going out and about the countryside in the comfort of the little blue Peurgeot...better take the rain coats me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment